Q & A – Energy At Citi Field

In the video below I answer the following viewer question:

IbldBlueAndOrange: Do you think Citi Field will ever have the same energy as Shea did? I went to the home opener and I didn’t feel the crowd energy at all.

Also, last night I was a guest on the LC and Jack Blog Talk Radio Show. Click here to listen to me talk about the Mets. I had a great time chatting with the fellas. Be sure to check them out.

This entry was posted in New York Mets, On The Black TV, Q&A and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to Q & A – Energy At Citi Field

1. METS FAN ONE says:

Citifield is like a graveyard compared to Shea.

It has no soul. It has no character. It is lifeless. It is sterile.

The best seats, Infield, even now, are 2x Shea prices

The reasonably affordable seats are crap in the Promenade or Outfield with a better view at home on SNY.

I rather sit in my loge Infield Seats at Shea ANY DAY than at souless Citifield

Yes, I've been to post season at Shea.

Yes, the noise was deafening.

Yes, the place shook as if in an Earthquake.

Wouldn't give up those memories for anything.

We can thank Jeffey Wilpon for building a souless, sterile, lifeless ballpark with field dimensions designed to detract from the strengths of your best hitters.

2. Felix Milan says:

No comparison at all. Sure, their lousy play has something to do with it, but it has just become too expensive to go to a game these days. Also, all of the other distractions at the new park create an atmosphere designed to have people move around and spend money, rather than sit and watch baseball. Been to several games at Citi and noticed three things I never saw at Shea 1) there may be 30,000 people in the stadium, but only 20,000 are in their seats actually watching baseball; 2) A lot more "suits"; a lot less "Mets gear" on the backs of the "fans"; 3) no matter the score, by the seventh inning the field level seats are practically empty. This tells me that the real, die-hard, true blue and orange, blue collar Mets fan is not at the stadium anymore. Sad days ahead my friends.

The price of the tickets is the main reason why I no longer get a ticket plan. For a family of 3 or 4 it can easily cost over $300 for a day at the ballpark (tickets, parking, toll, food, etc…). I'd rather just pick and choose certain games throughout the year and go to the secondary ticket marketplace to get them for much cheaper. I know I'm not alone in this thinking. Its interesting to watch the impact that the secondary market has on season ticket sales. Not just for the Mets but for all teams.

3. METS FAN ONE says:

Shea even in the dismissal days of 1977-1983 and 1992-1996 had energy and spirit.

You knew when day 1 that Shea was the home of the Mets.

You knew from day 1 that Citifield was a sterile, corporate homage to the Bklyn Dodgers

4. METS FAN ONE says:

Felix,

Your observations and points 1-3 are dead-on accurate.

The Wilpons have managed, in their infinite stupidity, to suck the air and the life out of the New Home of the Mets.

5. Laurie says:

Yes- u r correct- It has no soul- all it has is good food but who cares- U go to a game for the GAME not the Damn FOOD- just give me a Frank and some fries- and I bring my own water- And I didnt mind sitting upper level of Shea as long was infield-And it DID SHAKE- and Now I park outside of course(lkive few mins away) and we have to Walk so damn far to get to CITI from the Parking on the street near GCPkway-I hate That- SHEA was right There- Damn It I hate this Team Now- Boring Dead Even IKEs not hitting- WRIGHt just sucks- MR strikeout- And PAGAN what the hell happened?? The Pitching Sux They cant Field catch a Fly- (HAIRSTON) and Now cant even beat astros or WIN a Freakin Game at HOME- We r irrelevant Now- A joke- An embarrassment- Thank God for My KNICKS still Playin- This team Is UNWATCHABLE!!

Looks like your Knicks are on the verge of being eliminated. They should have won those first two in Boston…I think the team will play better then they recently have. They won't be this bad all year (as I type they've won two in a row). Your point about the food makes me think I can't believe that Shake Shack line is always so long. In the three years Citi Field has been open, I've yet to get anything from Shake Shack because I refuse to stand in a line that long and miss an inning of baseball but I guess others feel differently about that.

6. METS FAN ONE says:

You went to Shea to watch a ballgame. Period. Everything else was secondary. At Citi it appears watching a ballgame is tertiary while stuffing your face with the admittedly good food, visiting Fan Fest, etc is primary.

Wish they had built a 21st century version of Shea which, for those who don't know, was designed in the late 1950s.

Until proven otherwise Citi to me is a souless, spiritless, edifice thanks to the Wilpons

7. @Justinleon says:

It's depressing to walk in there to see most people caring more about the food than the baseball team. The only thing I dearly miss from Shea is the $5 seats. Those need to come back!

Also can we stop talking about how citi is a "Dodgers shrine", its pretty much insulting to the legacy of Jackie Robinson. Especially since now blacks are starting to be a rarity in baseball clubhouses.