2011 Candidates To Be The Next R.A. Dickey

In the January 7, 2011 edition of the Flushing Flash, Mets GM Sandy Alderson said the following:

Every year players come out of nowhere to become success stories. Look no further than R.A. Dickey. He signed a minor-league deal last January, became a fixture in the starting rotation in May, and finished the season with 11 victories and a 2.84 ERA. I believe some of our offseason acquisitions can be this year’s version of R.A.

In the video below I pick out two candidates on the current 40-man roster that could be the 2011 version of R.A. Dickey.

Mets Links From Around The Net:

• Real Dirty Mets: Who Are The Top 50 Mets Of All Time ? You Decide !!” Edition 01-08-11– Head over to Real Dirty Mets and email them your list!
  • Mets Today: Mike Piazza and the Steroid Issue– “IF” it comes out that Piazza used PEDs, he should not get into the Hall of Fame, just like others are not getting in. If the others start to get in, then Piazza should get in. BTW – I think Alex Rodriguez will be the first admitted steroid user to get into the Hall of Fame when his time comes…
  • Metsblog: Photo: Shea Stadium Superstructure – What a great pic this is!
  • This entry was posted in New York Mets, On The Black TV and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to 2011 Candidates To Be The Next R.A. Dickey

1. pfh64 says:

KC, the guy that needs to be the "next" RA Dickey is Mike Pelphrey. He needs to have the stuff of Mike Pelphrey and the chutzpah of Dickey. He needs to impose his will on this season, and become in baseball terms, a MAN. With Santana down, and he should not rush in anyway to get back, the ONLY guy with dominant stuff on the roster is Pelphrey and he needs to step up or go back to Kansas. If this team has any shot to contend for a playoff spot, then Pelf has to be the man, and go 17-9, 19-10. This, of course, is assuming health, which is always a BIG if on this team. Otherwise Mets' fans only glimmer of hope for a good season is just the release of the all of that salary at the end of the season, and just the possibility that they might spend it wisely.

I would also like to see Pelfrey continue to improve. Looking at his stats he did have a good year last year: 204 IP (most in his career) | 15 wins (most in his career), 1.38 WHIP | 113 SO (most in his career), pitched in 33 games and had that one save. I guess what I'd like to see from Pelfrey is more consistency over a longer period of time. For example he gave up 2 ER in April, then 16 in May, 16 in June, 23 in July then back down to 7 in August.

2. pfh64 says:

KC, they need that from him and Dickey if they are going to have any chance to not embarrass themselves. Niese is a guy I love but I need to see him stay healthy. I think he is a winner, and it is only a matter of time. He may not be a 1 or 2 starter, but I think he has the makings of an ideal number three starter, and not to mention, I think he can be a guy who will be a big time clutch pitcher.

I'd like to see Niese go deeper into games in 2011. Out of 30 starts last year. He only went past 7.0 IP 2 times. Pelfrey did it 6 times in 33 starts, Dickey 5 times in 26 starts, Santana 9 times in 29 starts.

• pfh64 says:

No doubt about that. I think that the goal for all pitchers should be to pitch at least eight innings. I prefer nine, but I am not that greedy. It should be that way for all. Pitch counts are crap. Everyone talks about every teams bullpen stinks, and so hey, I have an idea, let use more and more relievers. I pray to the baseball gods all the time that Nolan Ryan and the Rangers are successful in instilling the mindset of complete games, so that others will copy them. I know it was a different time, but how did guys that were not as conditioned and medical science not as knowledgeable that guys went for three hundred innings a year, and long careers, not one or two years.

Def a different game now-a-days but I still think pitchers are babied too much with pitch counts and IP. I'm big on "learning on the job" and taking a pitcher out simply because he hits a certain number of pitches or gets in a jam late in a game is simply not a good enough reason to remove a pitcher. Got to let the pitcher find their way through it sometimes.

• pfh64 says:

KC, I understand it is a different game, but when everyone says at the start of every series no matter who is playing that if we can get to their middle relief, should not teams be trying to play the game to avoid using the bullpens as much as possible?I totally agree with the idea of letting pitchers fight their way through things. No one can tell me that averaging seven innings a start as a goal is not attainable. That is bull. I realize that the Giants have great starters, but one of the reasons that they are great is that they average seven innings a start and saves the bullpen. Maybe they have average five outs a night instead of eight or nine. But I bet if you check even their fourth and fifth starters average more innings per start than the rest of the league.

3. Metsy says:

Dillon Gee, the invisible man, My money is on Gee.