Poll: Which Free Agent Pitcher Should The Mets Sign

Lately there have been a number of free agent pitchers that the New York Mets have been rumored to be interested in. I think the Mets should take a shot at more than one guy listed below but please let me know out of all of these players, which one would you like to see the Mets sign the most.

This entry was posted in New York Mets and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to Poll: Which Free Agent Pitcher Should The Mets Sign

1. Amit Badlani says:

I voted Chris Young, but I don't understand why Kevin Millwood isn't being considered. He should be the next option should Young sign elsewhere. He would be inexpensive, fits Citi Field well, and hasn't had a major injury in the past few seasons.

Milwood made $12 million last year. Considering the Mets are on a bit of a budget, how much of a pay cut is Milwood willing to take to come to the Mets? Also, I know he played for Baltimore last year in the AL East but Milwood was bad. His ERA (5.10), WHIP (1.51) and HR/9 IP (30HR in 190.2 IP) where all up from the previous year. I would expect these numbers to probably drop if he came to the NL East but by how much? I don't know..

• Amit Badlani says:

I would expect Millwood's ERA to drop by 1 considering he'd moving from HR haven in Camden Yards to Citi Field and the lineups in the NL are not as “stacked” as they are in the AL. Considering his poor performance in the past few seasons, I think his value will drop to $3-4 million. I understand the conception is the Mets have have $2.5 million left in the budget to get a starter and a lefty reliever, but if Sandy was serious about wanting a pitcher who is most likely to give the Mets longevity while Johan is gone, Millwood's the best choice. Thoughts?

I think you raised some good points and I agree that his ERA will drop by probably at least 1 but I think we will see Alderson take a shot at one of the guys listed in the poll. He can probably get one of them for less than $3-$4 million on a one year deal with a club option for a second year. I think the problem you may run into with Milwood is as a veteran he's probably looking for more than one year and I don't see Alderson doing that. Just my opinion. Thoughts?

• Amit Badlani says:

Despite being a veteran, I don't think Millwood would get a club option. The precedent set by pitchers of his caliber for this offseason is a one year deal. Javier Vazquez's performance this season was about even with Millwood's, despite being a better pitcher skill-wise. He had better offers on the table, but accepted a 1 year deal worth $7 million. Vincente Padilla, who is about on par with Millwood's skill level (doesn't match durability though), accepted a 1 year, $2 million deal. These deals will likely hurt Millwood's ability to get a deal with an option. I agree with you on the point that Alderson will probably go for a cheaper player that necessarily has the risk factor due to salary limitations. Although, if Alderson waits it out just long enough, Millwood's value may be in the Mets' budget.—

"Although, if Alderson waits it out just long enough, Millwood's value may be in the Mets' budget." – It's possible. Their actions thus far show that they are playing the waiting game.

2. Pingback: What Would You Say Would Be The Best Way For Charles Wang & Company To Rebuild The New York Islanders? - Top News, Music, and Sports - The Blog Conglomerate

3. Pingback: Tweets that mention Poll: Which Free Agent Pitcher Should The Mets Sign « OnTheBlack.com – New York Mets Video Baseball Blog | Mets News -- Topsy.com