Thoughts On Trading Reyes, Wright, Beltran & This Weekend

In the video below I give my thoughts on trading Jose Reyes, David Wright and Carlos Beltran. I also touch on the weekend series against the Phillies. Give it a watch.

This entry was posted in Baseball, New York Mets and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to Thoughts On Trading Reyes, Wright, Beltran & This Weekend

1. I'm not that opposed to making drastic changes such as trading guys like Wright and/or Reyes. I would prefer not to trade Reyes but I would take offers for Wright. I think he could prosper in a market where there's less pressure, I think that despite his numbers he is light-weight and folds under pressure. He is not a winning ball player.
    Be that as it may I would still like to see them playing under a top notch manager. The best manager that Reyes and Wright have played under in the bigs is Willie Randolph (hindsight is 20/20 but I would take Randolph over Manuel any day).

Not sure I'm ready to say Wright isn't a winning ball player. I don't think you can put the blame for the Mets failures all on his shoulders. Does he deserve some of the blame for what happened in 07 and 08? Absolutely he does but so does all the other players on those teams. Like you said "I would like to see Reyes and Wright play under better leadership first before moving any of them."

2. Pingback: Tweets that mention Thoughts On Trading Reyes, Wright, Beltran & This Weekend « OnTheBlack.com – New York Mets Video Baseball Blog | Mets News -- Topsy.com

3. wohjr says:

Kerel-

Love the vlog, coming over here from Mets Today. You think you could elaborate a little on why you think trading wright is a bad idea. I am the one over there who takes a lot of flack for saying this, but I'd be interested if you have any deeper thoughts than merely dismissing the idea out of hand.

Bayonne- Come comment at Mets Today, I need the backup! Wright is a 2nd banana. If he's your best hitter you aint bringing home the hardware, its that simple. How long do we have to wait for him to become a "leader"? Hint: if he's not there by 27 is he ever getting there? Reyes is the more unique talent… I say you keep him, ship Wright for a golden bounty of arms and replace him with someone who can put up 75% of the numbers and not fold like a lawn chair in big spots. Dwright has really perfected the 3-pitch-K with men on base this year. Not good.

wohjr – first let me say thanks for the compliments and for commenting. Glad you like the blog and I hope you stop by more often.

In terms of the idea of trading Wright. It's not that I think it would be a bad idea or that I'm just plainly dismissing it, it's more about the organization setting priorities. As I eluded to in the video the Mets (in my opinion) have so many other issues right now so Reyes and Wright shouldn't be the focus all of a sudden because the team isn't playing well.

I mean just thinking ahead to 2011 and 2012, the Mets will have issues in the following areas: starting pitching, bullpen, second base, right field and maybe catcher. With that said, I don't think this is the time to uproot your 27 year old third baseman whose done nothing over his career except: .307 BA | 157 HR | 638 RBI over the last 6 1/2 years. Does Wright always come through in the clutch? No, but he is batting .295 with 57 RBI's with RISP this year so it's not like he never comes through when needed. I just think that the priority should be elsewhere when it comes to trying to improve this team.

In terms of trading Wright, where do you think the Mets could trade him to that would give up the arms you talk about and also be willing to take on his salary for the next few seasons: 2011:$14M, 2012:$15M, 2013:$16M club option ($1M buyout) (source Cot's Baseball Contracts). I think a more likely candidate to get traded would be Beltran. Granted he's got a full no trade clause and is due $18.5M next year, but there may be a team out there willing to bite the bullet for one season if they feel he can be a difference maker. If he proves he's healthy and plays well the rest of the season we could get multiple players back for him.

• wohjr says:

Completely agreed that DW and reyes are in a sense the least areas of concern. But, this is not a winning team. I think that if 06-10 has shown us anything its that wright-reyes-beltran-santana is a decent *(maybe) but not winning core. So where do we go from there. For my part, I look to pitching– if you want the hardware, you need three gangsta pitchers (to borrow from jerry) and a fourth who aint so shabby. RA is the fourth. Zohan is one. I'll give niese a half. Does anyone trust pelfrey right now?

If we don't have a winning core, then the question becomes how do we get there. With citicavern I say the strategy is arms. Do we have arms in the system? Well, no– not really… maybe jenrry will be good– but he aint lights out. So how do we get arms? Well, we should trade the most valuable person we have. This is one of the rare cases where we can use the crazy NY media to our advantage. Usually its people who come to NY and can't stand the hype. Use it to our advantage– DWright is overhyped due to NY media, so other teams probably overvalue him. Salary may be crazy but are you saying the bosox wouldn't take him for buckholz and 2-3 prospects (2 arms, one position). How 'bout the twinks, with all that target money. We could take Scott Baker, the catching prospect and 1-2 more kids. Padres have arms and headley. It can be done.

We are not getting to the promised land with DWright leading the way. Dwright and Adrian Gonzalez and 2 arms… maybe. But lets be serious. More years with DW, Reyes and Santana as your stars equals more years of 70-85 wins…. and a lot of czechvars sold at Citi to boost the wilpons

Good thoughts. IF the Mets ever traded Wright I think I'd want back an MLB starting pitcher (like a Buckholz) and another MLB ready young player. Personally I don't think the Mets would ever trade Wright. I think they'd trade Reyes before they trade Wright. I have no facts to back that up, just a hunch. It will be interesting to see what this team does this off-season (management and players).

4. Manny says:

This team is done…. ownership knows this team aint going nowhere which is why they did nothing at the trade deadline. But yeah I agree with you…I would consider trading beltran, he's not the same player anymore. We cant win with this team minus well trade the pieces we have cause it hasent worked out.

Players I wouldn't trade : Reyes, Wright, Pagan, and Ike Davis

Players I would trade if anyone would take them: Beltran, Santana, Ollie (I hope anyone would be stupid enough) K Rod, Castillo, Barajas, pedro feliciano, Francoeur, and jason bay.

5. Manny says:

He had a good season last year…and is having a very good season this year. I look at him as a perfect number 2 hitter that plays great defense and has good speed. Him and Reyes on the top of our lineup would be great for the years to come. What this team needs going into the 2011 season is to fire Omar and Jerry, try to get rid of all the headaches in this team (K-Rod, Castillo, Ollie, and much more) If we can do this we will have a lot more money to spend and then just hope that the Wilpons would get a good GM that can make the right moves and sign the right players. Cause trust me I know for a fact that this season is over for the Mets.

6. Jay says:

keep reyes, wright, pelfrey, santana, pagan, niese–get rid of minaya, manuel and the wilpons (which i know wont happen) lol–everyone else i trade bait is you can get rid of them

but this team needs better leadership top to bottom

mets need a new attitude but they dont have the money