Q & A: Should The Mets Trade For Ty Wigginton

In this video I answer a viewer question regarding the possibility of the Mets trading for Ty Wigginton?

This entry was posted in Baseball, New York Mets, Q&A and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to Q & A: Should The Mets Trade For Ty Wigginton

1. Pingback: Tweets that mention Q & A: Should The Mets Trade For Ty Wigginton « OnTheBlack.com – New York Mets Video Baseball Blog | Mets News -- Topsy.com

2. FormerDirtDart says:

My only concern would be that he's never really been a bench guy. While he goes back and forth between positions, he way more often than not starts. So, how much would his production suffer in the pinch-hit mode?

Also, he's getting some good production on a bad team (which may be why he's on a decline for the last half month), and he's in a contract year. Is he going to want to become the "bench guy"? I know he probably doesn't have a choice(no trade clause unlikely), but, what effect might that have on his game?

Statically, career wise, Tatis & Wiggy are pretty damn close. What is there to say that Wiggy's numbers don't nose dive riding the pine, like Tatis' have(.282 last year while mostly starting), but at double the cost of Tatis.

In terms of him being a "bench guy", I would think he'd rather be a bench guy for 2 months for a team with a shot at making the playoffs as oppose to his current situation. No?

Also, let me ask you this: God forbid (knock on wood) David Wright or Ike Davis comes up with some sort of nagging injury and let's say they have to be out a week or so. Who would you rather see in the lineup for a few games? Tatis or Wiggington? I get that the numbers are close but when it comes down to it I think I'd have more confidence in Wiggington to produce down the stretch over Tatis.

• FormerDirtDart says:

Apparently the Mets believe they have someone beside Tatis. already on the team, that can backup Wright or Davis.

I don't know what is going on. But, I have to say, that I surprised by the team making space for Valdes by DL'ing Tatis.

OK, don't get me wrong, I certainly wouldn't hate for the Mets to acquire Wigginton. Just felt the need to express some concerns about his performance in a role that I am unaware of him having any meaningful experience.

Like a lot of Mets fans, I too was a fan of Ty, and felt bad when he got sent packing to make room so the "Wright Era" could begin. I was also quite used to the revolving door that was the left most infield position at Shea.

Well at least for this week the Mets have certainly left themselves open for a dilemma if they need a back up 3b or 1b. We will see what happens after the all-star break. I'm not really sure whats going on either. BTW – Santana was great tonight.

• FormerDirtDart says:

Looked into it, Cora has played 3rd in the majors. He played 3rd in a total of 16 games (6 starts) during 2005(5/2) & 2006(11/4)

Nice research! Gotta tell ya though, I've got no desire to see Alex Cora playing 3rd. Mets must figure this out after the all-star break.

3. Pingback: On The Black T-Shirts For Sale « OnTheBlack.com – New York Mets Video Baseball Blog | Mets News

4. Pingback: On The Black T-Shirts For Sale « OnTheBlack.com – New York Mets Video Baseball Blog | Mets News

5. chris says:

The Orioles will want more than you think for Ty Wiggington. Also Philly is interested in him. He can play 1b 2b 3b and OF and was selected to the all star team this year. Orioles are looking for close to major league ready ss and 1b.

I like Wigginton but if the O's think they are going to get more than just a couple minor leaguers for him, their crazy (unless they find a sucker to give them more). Makes sense that the Phils are looking at him, because of injuries they have a few holes right now.