Tweet: Recommended Mets Lineup

A lot has been made about the Mets batting order, especially Reyes batting third. Below is my two cents. Let me know what you think.

This entry was posted in Baseball, New York Mets and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to Tweet: Recommended Mets Lineup

1. Wendy says:

Why that order? I'd be interested in your reasoning.

Well first, let me say that I think Carlos Beltran's injury is causing major problems with this line-up. If he's in there he would be batting 3rd and that really makes all this a moot point. But since Beltran is out that leaves a big gap in the 3rd spot. I think at this point Reyes should bat lead-off so he can go back to being Reyes. Pagan has been playing well and I like him at the top of the order so 2nd seems like a good fit. I think Ike Davis should bat 4th to split up Wright and Bay (two righties) and Barajas should move up because he's been the most consistent Met and leads the team in HRs. Hope that answers your question.

• Wendy says:

Beltran when and if he returns remains to be seen if he will bat 3rd in the order. You cannot assume that he will be the same as he was. So, agreed, that whole scenario is moot.

Reyes batting third allows Bay to follow and therefore Bay gets fastballs thrown to him. This is the only proper way to place Reyes and Bay. Period. Bay needs fastballs. Reyes on base in front on him ensures this. There is reasoning to a lineup that plays not only to each players strengths but also to those who follow him and in what order. I like Pagan,too. His OBP is respectable and he's been playing exceptionally well. Being in the lead off spot seems to suit him and doesn't harm a damn thing, imo. I must disagree that Barajas is the most consistent Met. Sure he's gotten HRs but he's no more consistent than any other player. I understand your reasoning, I just think it's wrong.

Thanks for the response. Let me rephrase what I said about Barajas. He hasn't been the most consistent (I agree with you) but he's been the best run producer so far. He leads the team in home runs and is second in RBI's. Thats why I want to move him up in the lineup. At least for the short term. In terms of Reyes batting in front of Bay. Yes Bay may be getting more fastballs, but he's still struggling. Sometimes a shake up in the lineup can be a good thing and I just think it's time for the Mets to try something else because clearly things aren't working as is. BTW – I wouldn't be surprised if we've seen the last of Beltran in a Met uniform….

• Wendy says:

I understand about shake up, I think we need to be patient. It's a long season. It will take a little while to find the proper order and not shaking things up too soon is also something to consider. Last year Jerry couldn't find a batting order if he tried, which I'm sure he didn't. This year he seems, to me, to be on track to find the proper place for everyone.

I also agree about Beltran.

Thanks for making me think. I like it.

2. Pingback: Tweets that mention Tweet: Recommended Mets Lineup « OnTheBlack.com – New York Mets Video Baseball Blog | Mets News -- Topsy.com

3. Pingback: Mets Game Recap: Mets 2 Marlins 7 « OnTheBlack.com – New York Mets Video Baseball Blog | Mets News

4. John says:

I DISAGREE!!!…..REYES isn't hitting….why bat him leadoff….Switch him and Davis for NOW….and let Reyes start to hit before you move him back in the top of the order