Poll: To Boo or Not To Boo, That Is The Question

Mets fans displayed that they were in mid-season form on opening day by booing the team training staff during introductions. Earlier this week, a slumping David Wright heard the boo birds at Citi Field.

Personally I am one who does not boo my own players but at the same time I don’t criticize fans who do boo. What are your thoughts on booing? Is it ok for fans to boo their own players? Take the poll below and let me know your thoughts.

This entry was posted in Baseball, New York Mets and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

15 Responses to Poll: To Boo or Not To Boo, That Is The Question

1. Pingback: Tweets that mention Poll: To Boo or Not To Boo, That Is The Question « OnTheBlack.com – New York Mets Video Baseball Blog | Mets News -- Topsy.com

2. Pingback: uberVU - social comments

3. Bobby says:

Personally, I do not boo however I feel that I have every right to do so. I pay my hard earned money to go see these men play as ENTERTAINMENT and if they play like a five year old that I could have gone to the little league field to watch play for free, then I would be upset and therefore would boo. I personally do not boo because it seems rude to me and as a baseball player myself I would be very upset if other people were booing me. It is not like players TRY to make errors and strike out.

I've never booed and probably never will. One of the reasons why I don't like booing is it can become a fad/the in thing to do. As I was watching the game today I heard Wright catch a few boos again. Yeah he was 0-4 today but it's getting out of hand now.

4. Raymond says:

I don’t boo because honestly I just feel stupid making the “boo” sound, so it’s not my thing. But every fan has the right to boo if they want. Especially when a player or team underperforms. And especially the Mets training staff, are you kidding me? Front office should have fired those guys but we have the Wilpons… the guys who fired Rick Down when Mets hitting was NOT the problem and keep HoJo when the Mets hitting IS the problem (I am pretty convinced that HoJo is largely responsible for completely messing up David Wright’s swing and plate discipline). The fans paid to get in to watch a team perform to the best of their abilities. When they are continually and consistently let down by poor performance after poor performance, why the hell should they not be able to boo?

As I said in the post I'm not a booer either. I was at opening day and I could believe the trainers got booed. I didn't know what else to do when I heard that except laugh. LOL unreal.

5. Paul says:

The only time I feel that it’s acceptable to boo your own team’s players is if they aren’t making an effort.

Get thrown out a second because you stood at the plate admiring your “home run” that didn’t clear the fence? You deserve to be booed.

Strike out with the bases loaded? It happens… far more often than we like, but it’s tough to say that it was for lack of effort.

I can see that being ok. I mean if a player isn't hustling and lacks effort then they deserved to get booed. BTW – if the player isn't hustling then hopefully team management will address that issue as well.

6. Pingback: Mets Game Recap: Mets 3 Braves 1 « OnTheBlack.com – New York Mets Video Baseball Blog | Mets News

7. Brian says:

This is the northeast, you don’t want booing go watch a game in St. Louis. New York sports fans express themselves vociferously both positively and negatively thats what makes it simultaneously the best and toughest place to play,

You do raise a good point about playing in the northeast. I would also think thats why some players might be hesitant to come play in NY, and those that do come here have a history of struggling initially due to the pressure.

• Old Backstop says:

Wrong wording. New York fans are spoiled, pompous and demanding (in life and at the ballpark). That is where the booing comes from. It's the equivalent of a toddler screaming for candy.

8. Rafael says:

Booing is the worst form of expression out there, I hate it it shouldn’t be around ever! How would you like it if someone boo you? it wouldn’t feel to good right

9. Old Backstop says:

Those who boo, for the most part, are either very dim or plain old obnoxious. It is what it is.

It's one thing to boo a player for failing to run out a pop-up that ends up dropping, or when two players watch a fly ball drop in front of them. That is sending a message that shows as fans we don't want to see lack of effort or preparedness.

But booing a guy who goes 0-for-4 (that gives 110% effort every day) is unproductive and plain old stupid. There is no defense or excuse for it. "It's my hard-earned money" is a pretty moronic excuse to boo. As a fan, your goal should be to see the team win, and since booing has no positive effect (especially on a player that is trying as hard as he can), and it has a chance of making matters worse, you would have to be a moron to boo.

Finally, it's annoying that my hard-earned money is being wasted when others in the park are booing my players, potentially putting extra pressure on them that will make it harder for my team to win. So if you are worried about people's hard-earned money, stop booing and ruining the experience for the majority of the fans.