Q & A: Matt Holliday

If your having trouble viewing this video, try the Quicktime version

For more Q & A segments, click here!

This entry was posted in Baseball, New York Mets, Q&A and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to Q & A: Matt Holliday

1. Joe D says:

Kerel – I agree 100% with you, and would add that in addition to not being a difference maker, Holliday has proven to be merely average outside of Coors. His OPS is down over 100 points from his career mark, and he's on pace for 17 homers after averaging 32 HR in the last three seasons. I don't even see Holliday as an answer in the off season at this point and wouldn't sacrifice my first round pick on a player who will not cure the Mets power outage. We need a real power hitter. Next season we have no Delgado at all.

Joe – in terms of curing the power outages where do you think the Mets should turn for help? Their obvious needs will be 1b and a corner OF.There are no answers in the minors. Thoughts on who they should look to bring in?

2. Joe D says:

If the Mets had a GM with a little bit more insight, he may have understood the free agent market better and realized that the Mets needed Teixeira more than his crosstown rivals did. A smarter GM would have let Delgado go and taken the two first round draft picks, put that $14 million toward Tex and have another young core player for the next seven years such as they did in 2005 with Beltran. They also terribly misjudged just how vital Adam Dunn could have been for the team. However that's looking backward and hardly answers your question.

I guess the only thing I would say about the Delgado/Teixeira point is if we let Delgado go, there was no way to be 100% sure we would have gotten Teixeira. We most def should have went after Dunn though.

3. Joe D says:

If we plug the power into leftfield, there are more options, but costly ones in terms of what we would have to give up.

I'm concerned that the Mets problems in the homerun department are not an easy fix. Truth be told, the best move the Mets can make is bringing in the fences, but word is that the Wilpons like things just the way they are.

What other options do you see? There doesn't seem to be many good ones, but sometimes a different set of eyes can add more clarity.

In terms of the outfield, really the only options I see are to try and trade for Dunn or sign Holliday in the off season. Maybe the Mets should do both and play Dunn at 1b? They are in a tough spot, they don't want to trade what little young talent they have and their farm system is a mess. I've been a supporter of the GM up until now but I am starting to feel differently. All these injuries have really brought to light how weak the Mets farm system is.

4. Joe D says:

Kerel – You have quickly made my list of Mets bloggers whose opinions I respect. I appreciaie a Mets fan who can be objective as well as passionate. It's really hard to find the perfect balance, but you pull it off nicely.

As for your comment on the farm system. I invite you to join our battle of wits on Adam Rubin's blog this morning regarding just that. My nick in that blog is JoeD86.

I'm usually on the beat writer blogs 3-4 times a day, so I do most of my commenting and communicating with other Mets fans and bloggers on Rubin, Hubbuch, Lennon and Popper's threads.

Thanks Joe. I've been blogging for just about a year now, so your comments are appreciated. Thanks for the link, I will check out Adam Rubin's blog and join the convo.