Weekly Update: Roster Moves, Citi Field, Plus Q & AApril 19, 2009
If your having trouble viewing this video, try the Quicktime version
Met Roster Moves:
- Called up Nelson Figueroa – P from Triple-A Buffalo.
- Designated RHP Darren O’Day for assignment.
- Added Brian Schneider – C to the 15-day disabled list.
- Called up Omir Santos – C from Triple-A Buffalo.
Thoughts on Citi Field:
- What I like:
- Jackie Robinson Rotunda: I like the Rotunda from the outside, meaning that it’s a great focal point and entrance into the park. I think the inside it a little underwhellming from the standpoint that I’m not really in awe by anything. I think it’s nice and a great idea but I think it was hyped up too much.
- Old Apple: I like the fact that the old Shea Home Run Apple is on display and accessible to the fans.
- Kiddie Field, Batting Cages, Dunking Booth: I like that entire area beyond center field and think it’s a great gathering place for fans and has some activities for kids. The only bad thing about this area is if you look out across the street, you will see all the garages and tire shops. This is kind of an eye sore.
- What I don’t like:
- The Bullpens: I’m not a fan of the bullpens being so close together and right on top of each other.
- OutField Walls: I think the outfield walls are too high and I don’t like the quirky right field area where the Pepsi Porch over hangs.
- Mets History: Outside of the old Home Run Apple, I would like to see more Mets history throughout the park.
- Overall Thoughts:
Q & A
Q: ronnismetsblog - do you think Jose Reyes has lost a step or were these just perfect throws from the Reds Ryan Hanigan and the Marlins Ronny Paulino?
A: Absolutely not. Jose Reyes is not going to beat out every single throw. These other guys are MLB players as well. Reyes is 26 years old, not even in the prime of his career yet. Expect some big years from Reyes in the future.
Q: NYMNYJ22 – If Ryan Church keeps up this hot streak, do you see sheffield taking any of his playing time away?
I hope not…
A: As long as Church plays well, he will continue to get playing time. I think you’ll see Sheffield go back and forth between left and right field. He won’t play every day but he’s going to get starts here and there to give others a day off.
Q: tstrongmets20 - If Darren O’Day continues to pitch the way he is now do you think he’ll be sent down and if he does who would you call up?
A: Yes and he already has. I think we may have seen the last of Darren O’Day. As I stated in my Q & A last week, I thought Figueroa would be the first Met pitcher called up because of his versatility to start or come out bullpen.
I’ll be doing a Q & A segment every week. If you have a question that you would like me to discuss and answer, please Email Me.