Series Recap: Mets Take 2 of 3 From RedsApril 9, 2009
The New York Mets got their season off to a good start taking 2 of 3 from the Reds. Here are my thoughts on some take-aways from the series and who’s hot and who’s not.
If your having trouble viewing this video, try the Quicktime version
- The Pen: The Mets won the first game of the series 2-1. They depended heavily on the bullpen in game one and their new additions of Sean Green, J.J. Putz and Francisco Rodriguez came through big time. This is probably the type of game the Mets would have lost last season, so I a happy to see the bullpen paying dividends so early in the season.
- Mike Pelfrey: It’s safe to assume that Pelfrey did not have his best stuff in game 2 but he found a way to get through 5 innings while giving up 4 ER. The key point here is that Pelfrey showed some signs of maturity by keeping the team in the game and allowing the offense a chance to take over. Pelfrey is showing signs of growing as a pitcher and as much as Oliver Perez is lossing my confidence, Mike Pelfrey is gaining it.
- Daniel Murphy: Murphy was 4-14, 1hr and 2RBIs in the series. He showed a good approach at the plate and it’s looking like putting him in the 2 hole was the right thing to do.
Who’s Hot and Who’s Not:
- Who’s Hot? How about Carlos Delgado? 5-12, 1hr and 6 RBIs in the series.
- Who’s Not? How about Oliver Perez? 4.1IP, 5hits, 8ER and 5BB
Next Up For The Mets:
- 3 game series in Florida against the Marlins before returning home for their first ever regular season game at CitiField. I’m looking forward to seeing John Maine and Livan Hernandez take the mound for the first time this season.
Please leave a comment and let me know your thoughts.