American League 2009 Predictions

Who will win the AL Central? Was last season a fluke for Tampa Bay? Will the Yankees return to the playoffs? Answers to these questions and more in my American League Predictions below. What are your American League Predictions?

If your having trouble viewing this video, try the Quicktime version

This entry was posted in Baseball, Predictions and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

6 Responses to American League 2009 Predictions

1. Jim B says:

Hey Kerel –
    I LOVE your pick for AL MVP…..YOOOOOOUUUUKKK

2. Kerel Cooper says:

Jim B – thanks for the comments. He probably would have won it last year if it wasn’t for his own teammate :)

3. Swamigp says:

I like your picks, Kerel, especially since you have the Red Sox winning the division. I am a little surprised that you didn’t pick the Yankees to win the playoffs. I do think, like you, that they have many holes, especially the one left by AROD. They are aging, and they have plenty of question marks: How will Teixeira, Sabathia, and Burnett take the pressure? How will Brett Gardner do after being named as the starting center fielder? There are plenty others, but I think their age will catch up to them. They have plenty of players past their primes. I don’t know what you think, but I think their signings of Sabathia and Teixeira have a good chance to backfire (this is not the Red Sox in me talking). Though they are in their respective primes, they are both 29, and have only a small window of stellar production left. I don’t think they alone can spark the Yankees into the playoffs. New York has too much wrong with them. Agree?

4. Kerel Cooper says:

Thanks for the comments Swamigp. I think a lot of people will be surprised that I didn’t pick the Yankees but the AL East might be the toughest division in baseball and someone is going to be the odd man out and as you point out they have a lot of unanswered questions. More then the Redsoxs or Rays..so that is why did not pick the Yankees.

I think Teixeira will be ok but I worry about Sabathia. Traditionally he’s a slow starter and if he gets off to say a 1-3 start in NYC the boo birds will come out.

5. Swamigp says:

If the Yankees continue to get solid play out of Swisher, and with Arod returning soon, I think they will be very good. As I said before, they are old, but there is no denying how stacked their rotation is. It’s just a matter of living up to potential in New York, which is difficult to do, as you know. With the likes of Sabathia, Teixeira, and Burnett, the question is their level of comfort. If they play well in the Stadium’s opener, I think that will do a lot for their confidence.

The Rays have struggled out of the gate, especially regarding the back end of their rotation. They need to bring Price up, because I am not sure that Neimann and Sonnanstine can be a formidable two-some in the final spots. Burrell’s acquisition may backfire as well. Despite his power numbers, he is not a great hitter. He’s more likely to strikeout than get a clutch single. But if he does right the ship, he fits Maddon’s l-like-to-play-small-ball-but-like-to-rely-on-the-three-run-homer philosophy.

Of course, it appears its not just going to be a three-team race after all. The Orioles and Jays are ever so surprising. Especially Baltimore. They have a lot of good young hitters, and a rotation that is finding out how to pitch. Guthrie already has two victories; I think that Koji Uehara will turn out to be just what the youngster need: an experience arm that is consistently effective.

It will be a wild ride.

6. Kerel Cooper says:

Swamigp – thanks for the follow-up comments. I will admit the Yankees are playing better out the gate than I thought they would and I thought the Rays would get off to a fast start and that has not happened. It’s still very early but your right, it will be a wild ride.