5 Reasons The Mets Should Sign Pedro MartinezMarch 13, 2009
There has been a lot of talk lately about the possibility of the Mets resigning Pedro Martinez. At this time, it seems as if Pedro Martinez is more interested in the Mets, then the Mets are interested in him. I for one am a big supporter of the Mets resigning Pedro Martinez. Below I list 5 reasons why I feel the Mets should bring back Pedro:
If your having trouble viewing this video, try the Quicktime version
1. He’s better than Tim Redding, Livan Hernandez or Freddy Garcia. I guess if I had to pick one out of this group, it would be Livan Hernandez, but I’d prefer Pedro. Also, if Pedro matches up against other #5 starters from other teams, chances are he’s better than those guys as well, so advantage New York Mets.
2. Over the past 4 years, when Pedro was on the mound, he brought a type of energy and swagger to the Mets they seem to lack at times. I think when he’s on the mound he makes the entire team that much better.
3. During the World Baseball Classic, Pedro was out to show he still had it and I think he proved his point. His stats: 6 IP | 1 H | 6 Ks | 0ER. His performance in the WBC was absolutely outstanding!
4. I am a big believer that you can never have enough pitching. At times throughout the year, someone will get hurt and/or struggle. Pedro is not going to cost a lot of money. It’s worth the risk to bring him back.
5. As a veteran pitcher and someone who’s been around baseball for most of his life, Pedro can take some of the younger pitchers under his wing. I think he’d be a positive influence on guys like Niese and Pelfrey who could learn a lot from him.
Do you feel the Mets should resign Pedro Martinez? I would love to hear your thoughts?