Maine and Perez, Key to Mets Success

Part II of Analyzing the Mets Starting Pitching: Inconsistencies and Flashes of Greatness are words that can describe John Maine and Oliver Perez’s careers with the Mets. In order for the Mets to have success in 2009, they are going to need both Maine and Perez to show more Greatness and less Inconsistency.

Having trouble viewing this video? Try the Quicktime version

This entry was posted in Baseball, New York Mets and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to Maine and Perez, Key to Mets Success

1. Ron Presta says:

What about Pelfrey? Last year Mike spit out the mouth piece and lived up to the hype, but can he continue and build on that success? Perez and Maine are bigger pieces of the puzzle – I agree on that point as they are our 2-3 respectfully, but if Pelfrey doesn’t continue to shine we can’t win with just 3 solid starter. At the 5 spot its a fight with Redding, Livan and Niese but we really do need the top of our rotation to perform. Perez is less of a question mark as we know what to expect from him – great one day, spotty on another. The bigger question marks in my mind are Maine/Pelfrey. How will Maine perform post injury and can Pelfrey continue his rise to greatness?

2. Kerel Cooper says:

Ron – I think Pelfrey will continue to develop and get better. If this team is going to be successful, both Maine and Perez will need to be more consistent.

3. caz says:

Pelfrey is the Mets #2 starter. If he doesn’t win 18 games, they won’t make the playoffs. Maine will be fine in the 3 slot (15-16 wins) Perez sucks (12 – 14 wins). If the Mets are to be successful this year, they need Pelfrey to turn into a stud. Otherwise, they will finish 4th in the division.

Now onto Freddy Coupons:
    With glaring hole in the OF and 2b, they couldn’t pay Abreu $5mil to bat 2nd in the lineup? Go get Manny and Orlando Hudson. Period. Otherwise, it’s the Phillies year. I’m fed up with this owner.

4. Kerel Cooper says:

caz – thanks for the comments. I’d be really surprised if Pelfrey wins 18 games. I don’t think we can realistically expect that out of him, therefore in my opinion Maine and Perez are going to need to have good years.

I am not an Abreu fan, plus I don’t think the Mets need another lefty in the lineup. The perfect fit would be Manny but I would be shocked if that happened.

5. caz says:

>> I’d be really surprised if Pelfrey wins 18 games. I don’t think we can realistically expect that out of him, therefore in my opinion Maine and Perez are going to need to have good years.
    Define “good year” for Maine and Perez. I put down what the 3 pitchers need in order for the Mets to have a shot at the playoffs. What do you think?

How many wins will we get out each of the 4 pitchers this season?

The Phillies are better, the Marlins are better and I can see the Braves finishing ahead of them. Do you disagree? So then why not put Abreu in left? He’s a career .300 hitter with power and speed. He has a great arm and good eye at the plate. A perfect fit for the 2 slot in the Mets lineup. You want to throw all that out because he hits lefty? He was signed for $5M a year. That is nothing.

I agree that Pelfrey won’t win 18 games. That’s why the Mets will finish 4th place.

This team better re-hire Radomsky.

6. Kerel Cooper says:

caz – to answer your questions:
    >>Define “good year” for Maine and Perez.
    I say if they both can match their 2007 seasons. Both 15 wins and ERA under 4. If they are healthy I don’t see why they can’t do this.

>>I put down what the 3 pitchers need in order for the Mets to have a shot at the playoffs. What do you think?
    Above is my answers on Maine and Perez. Regarding Pelfrey 13-15 wins. I still think Maine and Perez are the keys. These guys have to be steady and consistent all season long.

>>How many wins will we get out each of the 4 pitchers this season? I assume your referring to Santana, Pelfrey, Maine and Perez. 15 wins out of Maine and Perez, 13-15 wins for Pelfrey and 20 for Santana which he would have easily had last yr if it was not for the bullpen. The 5th spot, I worry about…Again, this is if they all remain healthy.

>>If the team remains as it is now, where do you think they will finish in the division?
    Currently I say 2nd (wild card at best) or 3rd in the division.

I totally agree the Phillies, Marlins and Braves are better. I just think with Abreu in the Mets line-up they will be too heavy on the left side and yes he’s a .300 hitter but what positive impact has he ever had on a team? The Phillies didn’t take off until they traded him and the two years he was with the Yankees they were bounced in the 1st round of the playoffs and then missed the playoffs the next year.

Mets in 4th? I don’t think they will be that bad. 3rd maybe, 2nd more likely but not 4th.

7. caz says:

I agree with Maine. But I think you’re a little high on Perez. As a Mets fan, I hope you’re right. But I just don’t think they are very good this year. I can see a lackluster 85 win year on the horizon that could have been avoided if Freddy Coupons just opened up his check book like the other team across town.

From Kazmir to Arod to Vlad Guerrero to Manny. Now we have gaping holes in LF and 2b with free agent studs available to fill them. And they don’t even attempt to sign one of them. Nothing! I’m sick of it and I’m staying home on opening day. I’m not excited about this team. It’s P2BB in ’09, screw the Mets.

8. Kerel Cooper says:

caz – I hear ya but at some point you have to let go of Kazmir, AROD, VLAD and Manny. We can all agree those were terrible decisions by the Mets. If the Mets come out of the gate red hot this year, you’ll be over at CitiField by June :) The holes in the offense means that Reyes, Wright and Beltran need to have big years. Only time will tell.

BTW – I’m looking forward to Fantasy Baseball as well. Pressure is on me this year :)