Five Reasons the Rays Win the World SeriesOctober 21, 2008
So here we are for the 2008 Baseball World Series, Phillies vs Rays. My post season predictions were totally wrong. I stink but I got a good feeling about this one. I am picking the Rays to win in 6 and here are five reasons why:
- Home Field Advantage: Thanks to the All-Star Game, Tampa Bay has home field advantage and the Rays were an MLB best 57-24 at home during the regular season and 4-2 in the playoffs.
- Rust Factor: The Phillies have been sitting at home for a week now with nothing to do. We saw what happened to the Colorado Rockies last year when they had a lot of time off. I think the Rays will jump out to an early 1 or 2 game lead and by the time the Phillies shake off the rust it will be too late.
- Fearless: I think we have seen all season long that this young Tampa Bay team is not afraid of anything and time and time again they continue to fight back. They won the tough AL East, beat the battle tested Whitesox’s and Redsox’s in the playoffs. I don’t see why they can’t finish it off and beat the Phillies too.
- Game Management: I think at some point in this series Charlie Manuel will either make a critical mistake or just flat out get out managed by Joe Maddon. This is always a concern of Phillies fans and at some point Manuel will cost them.
- X-Factor: As he did in the ALCS, I think David Price will play an important role for the Rays. If there was one question mark going into the play-offs about this team it was late inning pitching. Price has shown he can come into a game and be that stopper the Rays so desperately need.
World Series MVP: B.J. Upton